- The Dragon's Lair (aka Home Page)
- Publications and Where to Buy
- Excerpt from A Ranger's Tale
- Serenya's Song (Tallenmere #2) Prologue
- Hearts in Exile (Tallenmere #3): Chapter One
- **WARNING** For Mature Readers ONLY!! A Glimpse of "No Place Like Home", Book #4 in the Tallenmere Series
- Tallenmere Series Playlists
- UPDATED 11/17/15: Book Reviews by Mysti
- Find Me Online
- Why I Can't Write About My Dreams
Tuesday, July 12, 2011
What's Your Kryptonite?
What I'm coming to realize though, is that this predictable spiral is my kryptonite. This is my weak moment. If I'm not careful, Ms. Mopey starts to emerge, and I rub off my depressive mood on everyone I meet, in person or online.
So, what's the solution? How did Superman prevent succumbing to his weakness?
I think the answer is that he steered clear when he could, but most importantly, he RECOGNIZED it for what it was and understood how it affected him. He didn't deny it existed or try to pretend it wasn't there. In both comic, movie, and TV episodes, he often took action, like hurling all known fragments into the sun or entrusting it to Batman.
How nice it would be if I could hurl my weaknesses into the sun! Alas, it's not possible, but what I can do is acknowledge those dark days when they arrive and give myself some grace, keeping in mind that it's not forever, that the roller coaster plunge will soon come to a halt and the ride will start cranking back up to the top again. A little extra downtime and exercise can do wonders. But if I try to ignore it or pretend like everything's dandy, I'll crash. The kryptonite must be acknowledged or it'll zap my powers, leaving me defenseless.
Q & A time: What is your krpytonite? How do you handle it?