Friday, May 9, 2014

Reviewer #2: Srilakshmi Indrasenan (aka Stri) from Strilish Talks



Since becoming an author, I've met some wonderful book reviewers. These reviewers take their job seriously. Whether they love a book or hate it, they know how to maintain a respectful and professional attitude and web presence. Please welcome our second book reviewer of the month, Stri from Strilish Talks:




From what corner of the world do you call home, and what do you do when you’re not reading and reviewing?

I am an Indian who was born and brought up in a city called Chennai in India. Although, Chennai is my home I can never call it a home as I travel a lot and anywhere I am comfortable I feel at home be it the party town Goa, or the divine Tanjore, or the busy Mumbai. When I am not reading or reviewing, I write for my blog, and I am writing a novel. Apart from that I work as Academic Coordinator in India’s leading playschool and I also travel a lot.

Tell us a little about your blog and what sorts of books you prefer to review there?

My primary blog is I am Stri – http://www.iamstri.wordpress.com/
In this blog, I not only review but also write under various categories viz. short stories, memoir, humor, romance, love and relationships, feminism, social causes, crafts and arts, and freestyle.

My exclusive review based blog is Strilish Talks – http://www.strilishtalks.wordpress.com/
Strilish Talks is the blog which contains reviews of Essential Fashion goodies and books. This is a new blog that I have exclusively created for reviews alone.

My kind of books to be reviewed on blog varies from romance to mystery, literature to sci-fi. Being a voracious reader, I love reviewing all genres and I prefer to review budding and new authors more as I feel there are many brilliant debutant authors who need better recognition.

Check it out on Amazon!
Is there any genre you won’t read?

Well, there isn’t any particular genre that I don’t read but yeah auto-biography and biographies are my least
favorites.

How do you structure your reviews?

The structuring differs at times but an overall format is as follows;
1.       Brief Author Intro.
2.       Book Information – Name, Publisher, Number of Pages, Rate, Where to Buy, etc.
3.       Blurb of the book in my words.
4.       The Pros and cons.
5.       What I liked in the book and what I didn’t.
6.       Summary or the gist of the story (I avoid this if the book has tons of suspense or if it is mystery or thriller genre).
7.       Rating.

If you find the book you’ve read is just not your thing, how would you go about reviewing it (or not)?

Having been reading for so long, I think I mastered the art of reviewing the books without personal biasing. Additionally, if I have completed a book fully then it means I like it and I will definitely review it.

Can you share the opening line/paragraph from one of your favorite review books? (250 words or less)

I started to read “The One You Cannot Have” by Preeti Shenoy at 9PM and after a lot of emotions and feelings I finished it by around 12 (mid night). 3 hours I was engulfed in her magic. Yes indeed the book was magical. Here is small gist about the book which I summarized.

Suave Anjali wanted no one else before she met Sensible Guy Aman who in turn wants the Confusing Shruti. But what Shruti wants? Oh yeah! There is Rishab who she is married to. And does Rishab want Shruti? Their lives are entwined in a strange mess – Thanks to past affair of 4 years between Aman & Shruti. One silly, untimely breakup that shakes 4 lives now.

What’s coming up next on your review schedule?

This weekend I am reviewing a debutant Indian Author Amit Singh’s “Sorry…Again? Can he purge his sins?” This is a romantic novel filled with suspense and lot of WOW moments. I am currently reading this and I will be up with the review by next week.

Here’s a totally random question for you: Aliens have invaded Earth, and they’re making humans their slaves. Do you: A) Pledge allegiance right away (they do have a good health plan); B) Join the revolt (you’re likely to be disintegrated, but the only programs on TV are reruns…); C) Hide out with other refugees in the abandoned Starbucks (slaves can’t afford that frou-frou coffee).

Well, I was laughing out loud seeing this question because, this is something me and my BFFs always discuss among ourselves on boring nights and the talk goes for hours together. Every time I would pick a new situation, a new decision, and discuss on it. This time I prefer option A. Pledge allegiance right away but then I will have a trick up to my sleeve and I will pull them down discreetly by gaining their trust. It may sound cunning but at times being clever and cunning is fruitful.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

****



Srilakshmi Indrasenan aka Stri is a freelance content writer and editor. She is also working as the academic coordinator for a leading preschools’ brand in India. She writes technical, creative, fiction, motivational, fashion, and relationship based contents. She has 4+ years of experience in content writing and editing and also she is open to jobs like Event Management, Editing Books, EmCee, and Wedding planning. She blogs at http://www.iamstri.wordpress.com/ where she writes on categories like reviews, fashion, social issues, short stories, memoir, and humor. She has a fashion and book review blog http://www.strilishtalks.wordpress.com/ where she blogs about reviews of fashion goodies, and books.

1 comment:

  1. Great interview. I am now obligated to check out Stri's website because she is way too interesting. Thanks for the post, Mysti.

    ReplyDelete

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.