Sunday, December 12, 2010

Winter Blues

I woke up this morning not wanting to get out of bed. More snow. Frigid temperatures. The neighbor across the street gave up on shovelling his driveway when the snow started again. At least we're not in Minnesota, but still...the weather outside is frightful.

My mood isn't much better. It happens to me often this time of year. Seasonal depression, I guess. I hear a lot of people talking about it. Maybe it's all the stresses of the year before coming to a head as the year ends. Feeling like there are too many loose threads, things left unfinished, goals left unfulfilled.

Do any of you experience the same thing? Writing is my usual therapy. Being in the presence of God is the best, which is why we need to find a church in our new town toute suite. What do you do when the winter blues hit?

Edit: So why didn't I think of this? Baking. It's actually a running joke in my family. "Mysti's baking again. Must be something wrong." I started the morning with writing, and then I took a break to bake a giant gingerbread cookie man/girl with my kiddos.

See our creation? It was supposed to be a "man", but the girls turned him into a girl. My hubby's worried about our boy, the youngest of the three. For good reason, probably.


1 comment:

  1. LOL. I grew up in Minnesota. That's why I moved to South Carolina.

    My mental issues are not seasonal, more completely random. The holiday season doesn't seem to affect them in any way. I haven't found a good therapy yet, though. If baking ans writing work for you, than awesome!

    Gingerbread creation looks delicious. If I try baking, it usually means something is about to go wrong. Name it 'Pat', and there won't be any need to worry.

    ReplyDelete

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.