|*Photo from NCADV.org*|
- One in every four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime.
- An estimated 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year.
- 85% of domestic violence victims are women.
- Historically, females have been most often victimized by someone they knew.
- Females who are 20-24 years of age are at the greatest risk of nonfatal intimate partner violence.
- Most cases of domestic violence are never reported to the police.
In my home state of Kentucky, these facts are quite sobering:
- Kentucky’s spouse abuse programs received 33,027 domestic violence related calls and 61,788 calls requesting information and referrals in FY 2006.
- 3,786 victims of domestic violence were sheltered in in Kentucky in FY 2006.
- 22,269 domestic violence allegations were investigated by Kentucky State Police in FY 2004
- The state of Kentucky was unable to shelter 1,316 individuals in 2006.
- Kentucky State Police reports that there were 10,159 Emergency Protective Orders and 25,967 Domestic Violence Protective Orders issued in Kentucky District Courts in FY 2006.