Wednesday, December 19, 2012

CFF #27: Spirit of Christmas by Dan Wright


If you've lost a loved one, perhaps you wonder if they can see you from time to time. In Dan Wright's story, a little family gets a visit from someone very special, but it's not the living who are blessed by it. Read on and please leave a comment...
    

    I always loved Christmas. It’s always been my favourite time of year – if only to see the family happy.
Every single year, without fail, 09:00 am, everyone gathers around the tree to open up the presents. This year is no different. The tree looks beautiful this year, all bright and sparkly with lights that seem like angels dancing. My hubby really outdid himself, considering this was the first year he had to do it with no input from me. He was always a bit of a lazy so and so, but it’s good he pulled his finger out and stepped up.
I sit in the corner and watch as the family opens their presents. I look at them each in turn as they do. Chris, my husband of ten years. Damn he still looks as hot at that day at the beach. It may seem a little clichéd, falling in love with a life guard after he resuscitated you when you nearly drowned – but after I saw his bronzed, rippling body I knew I couldn’t let him go. Sure, he’s put on a few pounds now, but he’s still hot to me.
Charlotte, my daughter. She’s going through what I think is the “goth” phase and she’s kinda dressed like something out of Rocky Horror at the mo. Not my choice of style I’ll admit – but if it makes her happy then I’m all for it. She’ll be going to college next year, wants to be an artist. I may be biased as she’s my daughter, but I think her art rocks – even if it is a little morbid.
Ben is my youngest – turned eight this year. He looks so bright and jolly with his Spongebob T-Shirt. Always so happy, always full of life. He looks so much like his father it’s unreal.
And then of course there is Poppy, our pet cat. Little guy has been with our family for a long time. Chris didn’t want him at first, but I couldn’t let a stray go without someone to look after them. But I think Chris has come to warm to him now.
All the family look so happy as they open their presents. The sound of laughter and joy fills my heart and I could almost cry. Seeing them so happy is the best present of them all for me. I’m so proud of my family.
They get through the presents quicker than normal – there aren’t as many this year. It’s only after that that Charlotte seems to become sad. She looks at the tree, the underneath where the presents were held now seems so empty. The room goes silent for a second. Then she says something that rips at my heart.
‘I wish Mum was still here.’
Chris takes Charlotte in one arm in a gentle embrace, Ben in the other. I’m not sure if Ben is still too young to know that I won’t be coming back. He kisses both of them on the top of the head and looks towards where I’m sitting. My favourite chair. But he can’t see me.
He looks like he’s about to cry, but he’s staying strong for the children. He always did. He was always the strong one – even when the test results came back for me. He’s been such a trooper and done an amazing job keeping the family together. It takes a strong parent to work their fingers to the bone – yet always making time for both of their children. They’ll be fine, I know they will. Chris will be there for him.
Still, it would make me cry if I could. Knowing that I’ll never seen them in this world. But I know that they’ll be ok. They’ll move on. They’ll survive.
Christmas is a time for being thankful – and I am thankful for the wonderful family that I had and for every single second I got to spend with them. I am thankful for all those Christmas’s that we spent as a family – and for all the wonderful times together. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. But sometimes life doesn’t work that way.
But I know that I’ll see them all again. Someday. I’ll be waiting for them.
Maybe the angels will let me come back and see them next year.
****
ABOUT THE
AUTHOR

Dan lives in the UK, his hometown being Canterbury, Kent. A huge fan of both Fantasy and Manga, he has a style that combines both within his writing, which lets him tell stories that are both dramatic and tongue-in-cheek at the same time.

Dan also runs his own website, blog and even a wiki page that goes into detail of the world of Draconica. He is also a reviewer for the website Read2Review and will soon be reviewing books independently on his own website.

Authors who have inspired Dan are Douglas Adams, J.R.R Tolkien, Harlan Ellison, Alan Moore, Joss Whedon and Hiromu Arakawa.

Contact Dan via the following links:

WEBSITE: www.pandragondan.co.uk
FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/PandragonDanWright
TWITTER: @PandragonDan

Books currently available – check out website for details


8 comments:

  1. I love this post because it is very very interesting.Thanks you very much for shearing this article

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story, Dan. It made me cry
    Love Jenny
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This great Dan! I loved it and am glad everyone seemed to be at peace. Happy Christmas to you and yours and a safe and happy new year too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sent shivers downs my spine and eyesight got blurry! Thanks for a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a heart-warming, if sad, story for the season. Good job, Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to Mysti for letting me be part of this competion and thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your well-written and heart-warming story very much, Dan. My husband will be in heaven seven years come January. Sometimes I actually feel his presence-feel him looking over my shoulder when I struggle to write.

    Have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a bittersweet story! Beautifully done. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.