Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Nickel Nasties Series #4 by Leona Pence

Welcome to the Nickel Nasties series! In celebration of my first scathing Amazon review for A Ranger's Tale (1 in 58 ain't bad), I've decided to devote February to the stories that garner so much stereotype and ridicule, but still comprise one of the world's best-selling genres: ROMANCE! I hope you'll enjoy this series. Please leave comments for the wonderful contributors. And...don't forget to check out their books!

Leona Pence 



Download for FREE at Amazon!
I started reading romance novels in high school. The library only allowed us to check out four books at a time. I got four, my sister, Judi,  got four, and in two weeks, all eight had been read by me, Judi and mom. We read every Emilie Loring book we could find. I spent an hour trying to think of her name today. I checked Amazon and found a lot of her books, but only one in Kindle format. It’s free, and if you read this, you won’t regret it. Emilie Loring: The Trail of Conflict.

Then I discovered Regency Romance books by Barbara Cartland -  my all-time favorite. The Dukes, Princes, Lords etc. may have been rakes, but the heroines were always virginal and stayed that way until they were married.  The romance was powerful. I’ve also read a gazillion Harlequin romance books.

It’s no wonder I write romance.  My story has one thirty-three year old virgin. My daughters laughed until tears ran down their faces at the idea. My two other heroines were a little more worldly. I don’t mind reading sexual scenes in good romance novels.  I’m not crazy about graphic descriptions though. In my writing, I prefer to leave more to the imagination.  Maybe it’s my age, but I have too many grandchildren who will read what I write. I have to be able to look them in the eye.

Leona Pence is a widow who started writing late in life after she lost her husband of forty-four years. She has written one novel, yet unpublished, and hopes this will be the year it happens. She's a mentor in F2K, a free online writing course. 

15 comments:

  1. Hey Leo!

    I just know this will be your year. You have been a great inspiration for countless writers, myself included. Thank you for this sneak peak of your motivation to write romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your knd words, TJ. I hope this is indeed my year.

      Delete
  2. Leo, your blog post made me smile. I love that you, your mom, and your sister all read those 8 romance books each time. :) I bought that book just now. I can't wait to check it out.

    I love reading romance and I'm trying really hard to write one, but those sex scenes will be the death of me. I keep thinking about what my children will say so I know exactly how you feel. LOL! This WILL be your year for publication! Don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love scenes ARE challenging! It takes me a while to get them right. The most important thing about them, I think, is making sure they fit the tone of the story and don't simply leave the plot. I've read plenty of love scenes that you could pretty much just extract from one book and insert into another with little noticeable difference :)

      One book you might want to check out is "The Joy of Writing Sex" by Elizabeth Benedict: http://www.amazon.com/The-Joy-Writing-Sex-Fiction/dp/0805069933/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360165531&sr=8-1&keywords=the+joy+of+writing+sex

      Great excerpts from various genres of books and tips on how to fit them into certain scenarios.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Von, surely two predictions of this being my year to publish can't be wrong. I won't give up anytimee soon. Good luck with your book.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the book suggestion, Mysti! I will definitely check it out. I'm so nervous about writing the love scenes that I keep abandoning my novel!

      Delete
  3. Leo:

    I wish you well on your own journey into the writing world. As TJ pointed out, you have been helpful to so many others, it may be time to be helpful to yourself. As Tinkerbell once said, "You just have to believe!" That is a loose quote.

    You also have to be a real human as a writer. If you hadn't had a sex life there wouldn't be any grand kids eyes to look into. Give yourself an opportunity, Leo. You definitely deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tom, you make a good point about the grandkids. lol

      I appreciate your good wishes.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing, TJ. I think a lot of writers struggle with the idea that someone they know, family or friend, will read their hot romance scenes. It gives me pause. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leo, I'm with you on the graphic sex issue. I write a lot of fanfics and tend to keep those scenes more sensual than sexual, in fact some of my fellow fanfic writers refer to it as Mum's brand of smut lite.

    I know Romance publishers have a very specific format that they like. Don't let it stop you from telling a story the way you want to.

    Best wishes on getting your novel published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smut lits ... I like that. lol

      Thanks, Mum, for your good wishes.

      Delete
  6. Hello Leona! I read loads of Barbara Cartland too! I'd completely forgotten reading her. Thanks for the reminder :) Yes, writing `romantic' scenes can be a challenge because it's so easy to cross that line into smut LOL I've read some scenes that ended up being hilarious because it was too detailed and I don't think that's the reaction any author wants their readers to have when reading a bedroom scene :) Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies



























































































































































    1. Thanks, Amelia, and I agree it's not a good sign when you can laugh through the sex scenes.












      Delete
  7. Hey Leona,

    Thanks for letting me know about that book. I went to Amazon and got me a copy too.

    I've read your book and I KNOW it will be published. You did a FANTASTIC job with it. Everyone will want a copy.

    Good luck!
    Lindainbama

    ReplyDelete

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.