Saturday, April 6, 2013

A-Z Blog Challenge: F is for Faith by Debbie Seko


It's that time again!!!  Unwritten and some 1000 other blogs participated last year, and this year looks to be even bigger! Just like last year, I've opened up the blog to host 26 fabulous writers, with each day of the challenge representing the letters of the alphabet from A-Z. I've asked each writer to focus on something that is personal to them, so we can learn more about each other. 

Please check out some of the other blogs in the challenge here: 

A-Z BLOG CHALLENGE 2013



F is for...Faith
by Debbie Seko

F is for Faith. My recent diagnosis of cancer forced me to face my mortally, which led me to an in-depth look at my faith and what it means to me. It left me contemplating questions like, without faith, how does one continue to live day after day in a world where horrible things happen to good people? Without faith, how does one cope with watching loved ones struggle with diseases like cancer and Alzheimer’s? Without faith, how does one survive and continue to fight the daily uphill battles of debilitating illness and other insurmountable tribulations that befall them?

After much meditation my conclusion is that we can’t live life without faith, well, at least I can’t. Why? Because without faith, there is no hope, no reason, no purpose to life. Without faith, the grave is the end of life, the end of who we are as an individual, therefore, whatever we’ve done, whatever we’ve become ends. If this is indeed the case, then what reason is there for any of us to have values, or morals, or even a conscience?

I refuse to believe the grave is the end of who I am, that once my fleshly body has given up the battle to live that my entire existence becomes one of no purpose, no value. No, I believe we are more than our bodies, that we have a heart and soul, which makes us who we are, that our bodies are only a shroud in which to store the essence of who we are as a person. I choose to believe that there is life
after the grave and that those who have faith in God will dwell in heaven where all who have kept the faith will be reunited and live a life of peace, harmony, and love.

Without faith, life would only amount to a blind journey of empty steps with no meaning or purpose. Therefore, I will continue to fumble about in this temporary home living with the faith that there is eternal life where love, happiness, and peace await those who believe and have kept the faith by living their lives according to God’s word and His promises.

Without the belief and knowledge that my faith brings, I would not have the fortitude to go through the treatments and trials that this devastating disease requires of my body, mind, and soul.

Have faith, that there is life beyond the grave and that your life matters.

To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible. 
~Thomas Aquinas quotes  

****
Debbie Seko is a freelance writer, mentor, blogger, and creative writing instructor. She received her first by-line in 1995 for a short story inspired by her mother. She is a member of Writers Village University, Helium.com and in 1993; she appeared in Outstanding Authors of America. As an aspiring writer, she admits her biggest hurdle is finding the time to write, which she believes is universal to all aspiring writers. Currently she is working on several short stories and a romance novel. When not writing Debbie spends her time teaching, caring for her aging father, and visiting with her grandchildren who are the light of her life. Debbie resides in a small town in Southern Georgia with her husband and Toy Poodle, Sassy.


5 comments:

  1. Stopping by from A-Z!

    I also rely on faith. Without it this would be a sad, sad world. Sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis. I hope you continue to have faith that the Lord has something special in store for you. Prayers for healing going your way!

    Sam
    Writing Through College

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Granny! This is a lovely post. I'm sure it will bring hope and a renewed faith to many. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Granny, yes, faith makes our walk through life a bit easier with hope of what's to come. I'd be lost without it. I know my husband's faith sustained him.

    Leo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! So looking forward to that new body in heaven as well.

    ~Mary

    www.maryeagius.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd have never made it through the nine months in 2003 when my mom was sick and died if it wasn't for my faith. When all our other strengths fail, our faith can keep us from drowning.

    Thanks for sharing your journey, Debbie!!

    ReplyDelete

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.