Thursday, August 22, 2013

A Review of "Freaky Flashes" by Various Authors

Freaky FlashesFreaky Flashes by Lee Brazil
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Freaky Flashes is a collection of 13 erotic paranormal flash fiction stories. With each tale weighing in at ~1000 words or less, it made for a quick read. The cover might suggest it is more appropriate for the Halloween season, but the stories lend themselves to reading at any time of year.

I enjoyed the collection for the most part. Each story reflected the unique voice and genre of the different authors. Several were good and kept me turning the Kindle pages. My very favorite was "Strength's Curse" by SJ Thomas.

However, some of the stories felt unfinished and left me confused, as though they might have been pieces of a larger work. "That Special Feeling" by Raven McAllan, for instance, left me completely confused as to what happened at the end. It's quite possible that these stories contained characters that the fans of the authors would already be familiar with, so I'd encourage them to read this collection!

The other thing I wanted more of in this anthology was variety. I'm not against homoerotic literature, though I'm not a big fan of it. The first three stories and a few others were all centered on gay males. I'd have liked them mixed up better, even throwing in more paranormal characters like shifters and aliens.

Overall, this anthology provided a quick, exciting read and would be appropriate for erotica fans, particularly those who enjoy paranormal short stories.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.