Sunday, January 5, 2014

By The Seat of Your Pants: The Lie

If you've followed Unwritten for any length of time, you've probably read about my struggles with depression. Some dear writer friends and I have teamed up to share our experiences. "By The Seat of Your Pants" is a collaborative blog from writers who are living with mental illness, but forging their careers despite it all. This is my story. I welcome your comments. 

By The Seat of Your Pants...: The Lie: "I'm fine."  Those two words comprise the world's most common lie. Especially for someone with depression. {click the link to continue reading}

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a tough journey. Sad that it took so long to recognize it as something that could and should be treated, but glad you took that all important step of seeking help.

    I was treated for depression a number of years ago, and didn't even realize what it was at the time. I didn't feel "depressed", just up & down and eternally fatigued. It was a physical illness, and I went to the doctor fearing something like cancer, but was eventually given a course of medication for depression. In my case, it made a world of difference within days, like coming out into sunshine after dense fog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting and sharing your story, Ian. I like that analogy--coming out of a deep fog. That's how it was for me too. Depression feels different on everyone and yes, it can definitely be physical. Mine was very draining at times and the first medication I tried made me even more fatigued. My current one is much better in that respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting, will check it out.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.