Monday, March 26, 2012

March Author Series #18: The Intuitive Writing Process by Lizzy Ford


If one of your goals is being more prolific as a writer, then you might want to read how Lizzy Ford can produce a new novel every month or so. I can honestly say, I doubt I'll ever reach that level of productivity. And what's with all these dreamers?! Read on to discover her secrets...

The Intuitive Writing Process

Buy it HERE!
The question I’m asked most frequently is how I can be a hyper-prolific, freak of nature writer.  Where do I get my inspiration from to write like a maniac? I write and publish a new novel every 30-45 days while maintaining marketing efforts and building up my social media presence.  Those who have read my work will tell you it’s good.  I’m not writing the Great American Novel, but I can write a darn good story with solid characters and a very imaginative plot.  In short, I can write a book that’s certain to entertain, and lots of people want to know what my secret is. 

It’s no easy feat to produce a book a month.  There are a couple of secrets, one of which I’ve been very open about.  I work with a team that consists of a freelance book editor, a graphics artist, and an I.T. person.  I write and revise my work.  Then, my editor beats the manuscript into shape, my graphics girl makes me covers and other material to promote it, and my husband (and IT guy!) optimizes our website to support each book.  All in about a month.  I’m ridiculously proud of my team!

Buy it HERE!
However, my second secret is a little less well-known: intuitive writing.  In order for my team to have something to work with, I’ve gotta WRITE.  Where do these ideas come from, and how do I keep them coming?  My writing process is only partially done consciously.  I have help from what I affectionately call my ‘demons,’ which are the builders of my stories.  I’m mentally working on several books at once, even if I’m capable of writing only one at a time.  The demons weave little ideas into plots, scenes, characters during the day – and at night.

A good chunk of my writing is done in my sleep.  I’m an avid dreamer who can remember much of what she dreams.  The demons are freer at night to create, experiment, and play in my dreams, and trust me – they do!  Rubber waves, shards of glass, a metro car in a cave, a woman with colorless eyes, a misty forest, a floating key, glowing rocks … These types of hazy dreamscapes, shape-shifting people and creatures, and surreal items or events become full-fledged scenes, plots or characters for books.  I weave those dream-world ideas together when I’m awake.

Buy it HERE!
I’ll be the first to admit that the creative mind is not a decisive one or one that can be easily directed at times. The demons usually play around with the movies, adding to them and filling in the gaps between scenes, until the story is ready to write.  Once I write it, the demons’ jobs are mostly over, unless I feel something is missing from the story that I can’t pinpoint.  On days like those, it’s back to dreamland, where I challenge the demons to figure it out while I sleep.  They usually do, and in the morning, I’m able to change whatever it was that bothered me about the book.

I call this entire process intuitive writing, mainly because I don’t feel as though I control much of it!  I rely on my demons and dreams to generate ideas and fuse them together.  I’m not always sure where a story is headed, but some part of me is, so I trust that part of me to help me create and build.  I do what I do best and write the movies as they appear in my mind, hopefully before the demons change them too much!

****

Lizzy Ford is the self-publishing phenom of the sweet paranormal romance series: "Rhyn Trilogy" and "War of Gods" series; and the young adult fantasy trilogy, “The Foretold,” all of which launched in 2011.  She has also authored multiple single title young adult fantasy and paranormal romances. Lizzy's books have reached the bestseller lists on both Amazon US and Amazon UK in multiple categories. Widely considered a freak of nature by her contemporaries for her ability to write and publish a new book every 30-45 days, Lizzy attributes her success to a team that consists of her editor, graphics artist, I.T. Sherpa, and her rabid readers. 

Lizzy released ten books in 2011 and intends to release another ten in 2012, including launching two more series. Lizzy’s books can be found on every major ereader library, to include: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, iBooks, Kobo, Sony and Smashwords. She lives in southern Arizona with her husband, three dogs and a cat. 

Lizzy’s links

Website: http://www.guerrillawordfare.com

9 comments:

  1. Great post. We can only hope to write like that someday! T.D. Jones Oh and I've decided I need A TEAM! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzy is a phenom! And admitedly, a little bit of a freak. But in a totally awesome way! Thanks for having her Mysti!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and thanks for not having capcha. I freaking hate having to prove I'm a human all the time! Plus my phone always wants to correct me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it too. I thought I had it turned off until I adjusted some settings the other day and it looked like it was on. So, my apologies to all of you who've had to type in silly words like

      ravear snofle ;)

      Delete
  4. Wow, Lizzy,

    What a tremendous gift! I doubt you will ever run out of material. :) And your support team is super cool on many levels. You get instant results and you can sic a demon after them if they slack off. Nothing beats being married to your public relations guy.

    Kudos and more power to you!

    Laurel W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mysti - Thank you so much for featuring me!

    @Teresa - I'm definitely one of those people who doesn't think she knows half as much as she should! Ha! So I try to find people and kidnap ... er, invite them into Lizzyland to do what I can't. LOL

    @Jenn - I am totally a freak of nature. I've accepted that now. LOL

    @Laurel - yes, it definitely helps out being married to my I.T. guy. LOL I am just hell on computers, and he doesn't mind the laptop carcasses I create a couple of times a year. :-)

    Thank you all!
    Lizzy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My pleasure!! Best of luck with all your releases this year :)

    Mysti

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so jealous of you, Lizzy! ;) I wish I could do that!

    ReplyDelete

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.