Wednesday, March 28, 2012

March Author Series #20: A Book in Songs--My "Bites" Playlist by Ninfa Hayes


I do believe Ninfa Hayes is a girl after my own heart! Music can be a huge inspiration for writing, especially for me, when I'm crafting scenes and want to get the mood just write. Get it? Just write? Anyway...see some of the fabulous songs that inspired Ninfa's paranormal romances. Some of these I even have on my own playlists! Read on...

 A book in songs: My 'Bites' Playlist

First of all, thank you to the lovely Mysti for the opportunity to guest post here at “Unwritten”.

There are different things in life that inspire me, but music is definitely high on the list. I simply can't write without music. It isolates me from whatever is going on around me and seals me in my own little world, surrounding me with melody and words.
Buy it HERE!

And we all know words, when you write, are always a good thing.

So I thought for today's post I'd share with you those songs that helped me shape the two novelettes that make up “Bites”, my YA Dark Fantasy anthology.

Hope you'll enjoy this little trip into my writing world!

“Last of the Blood”: Some of these songs inspired me because of the melody, some because of the lyrics, but all of them played a big part in shaping Damon's story.


•                     “Bullet with Butterfly wings” by Smashing Pumpkins
'The world is a vampire, sent to drain
Secret destroyers, hold you up to the flames
And what do I get, for my pain?
Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game...
...Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage...'
The whole song is the perfect set up for the story...

•                     “Jar of Hearts” by Christina Perri
Definitely Nataliya and Gabriel's song...just read their story and listen to the words and music...
'And who do you think you are?
Runnin' 'round leaving scars
Collecting your jar of hearts
And tearing love apart
You're gonna catch a cold
From the ice inside your soul
So don't come back for me
Who do you think you are?'

•                     “It will rain” by Bruno Mars 
•                     “My Immortal” by Evanescence 
•                     “The Only Exception” by Paramore
•                     “Never Think” by Robert Pattinson
•                     “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” by Iron and Wine
All of the above songs have a soft, romantic tone that suits Damon's mood when he meets the two girls in his life. There's hope, loss, heartache and melancholy in these songs and they're the perfect backup to Damon's love stories.

“Demonica”: The play-list for “Demonica” included more epic sounding songs, like “Lacrymosa”, “Supermassive Black Hole” and “Ava Adore”. I think they contributed in making the story so ambitious in scope, and, hopefully, helped me succeed in telling Irina's story.

•                     “Love the way you lie Part 2” by Rhianna feat. Eminem
There's one particular line in this song that started the whole “Demonica” concept, so literally, without this song, “Demonica” might have never seen the light of day!
'Even Angels have their wicked schemes,
and you take that to new extremes...”

•                     “Do you want the truth...” by Paloma Faith
To me this is “Eden's” song.

•                     “Supermassive Black Hole” by Muse
'Oh baby don't you know I suffer?
Oh baby can you hear me moan?
You caught me under false pretences
How long before you let me go?
You set my soul alight...
...I thought I was a fool for no one
Oh baby I'm a fool for you
You're the queen of the superficial
And how long before you tell the truth
You set my soul alight
You set my soul alight'


•                     “Ava Adore” by Smashing Pumpkins
'It's you that I adore...
...We must never be apart
Lovely girl, you're the beauty in my world
Without you, there aren't reasons left to find...
Evanescence: One of my FAVES!!
...In you I see dirty
In you I count stars
In you I feel so pretty
In you I taste God
In you I feel so hungry...
...We must never be apart...'

Lucifer's songs, both of them.

•                     “Tourniquet” by Evanescence 
'I lay dying
and I'm pouring crimson regret and betrayal
I'm dying praying bleeding and screaming
am I too lost to be saved
am I too lost?

•                     “A Thousand Years” by Christina Perri 
'Time stands still
Beauty in all she is
I will be brave
I will not let anything take away
What's standing in front of me
Every breath
Every hour has come to this
One step closer...'

•                     “Lacrymosa” by Evanescence 
'I can't change who I am.
Not this time, I won't lie to keep you near me.
And in this short life, there's no time to waste on giving up.'


All of the above are part of Irina's journey through the Daemonic Court and into Isola dell'Angelo, as well as her growth from a simple village girl to a queen.

I really hope you guys have enjoyed this little musical journey, and if some of these songs are new to you, check them out, you won't regret it.

Keep reading!
Ninfa xxx

****
           Ninfa lives in Manchester, UK with husband Gareth, daughter Cassandra and two gorgeous kitties, Jemima and Shelley.
Originally from Italy, she's half Spanish, half Italian and British by choice and marriage.
She loves books and is a total bookaholic! Reading and writing have always been a big part of her life and for this she thanks both her parents for passing down the literary gene and the passion for a good story.
Ninfa is big on Networking and co-runs an array of Facebook pages and blogs about books and all things supernatural. She also reviews books for the Facebook “Bookaholics Book Club” on a regular basis.
In this spirit, she's also training her daughter in these dark arts and plans on making her a huge geek, whether she likes it or not!
If you'd like to find out more about Ninfa Hayes and “Bites”, head over to:

Facebook @Ninfa Hayes

and you can also find her on

Twitter @Ninfa76

“Bites” e-book available now!

Or pre-order your paperback copy from:





Bitten Fruit Books (Also available exclusive signed copies!): www.bittenfruitbooks.com/pre-order-form.html


5 comments:

  1. I LOVE this book of yours!

    And I love your music choices. I can see how they would help with your focus and inspiration. And quite apt too. They all definitely fit Damon and Irina's stories.

    I too use music when I'm writing. Soft rock and country ballads mixed with the raunchy (like "Tough Lover" from the Burlesque soundtrack) when I'm writing my erotica. But the violence needs heavier, darker, thumpier (it's a word! Now...) music, like Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed, 30 Seconds to Mars.

    Music is definitely a writing aid!

    Keep writing, Goddess, I look forward to many more words from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great music selection. I recognize a few. Now that I have an Ipod I can look some of these titles up and listen to them. I like "Sweet Dreams" from the sound track of "Sucker Punch."
    Very cool version. Dark and seductive.

    Thanks for sharing the music.

    Laurel W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to download It Will Rain by Bruno Mars, since it fits my WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing new music with us! I'll look up the others too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pleasure Mysti and thanks everyone for the great comments. I love music and if you've discovered something new thanks to this post, then that's just fab :D
    Oh, Laurel I've just bought Sucker Punch on dvd, must put it on top of my "to view" pile.
    I have a thing for Soundtracks on cd, so if it's good I might get me the Sucker Punch one :)

    ReplyDelete

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.