Thursday, March 8, 2012

March Author Series #5: The Music in the Writing by Dianna Hardy

Please welcome Dianna Hardy, a girl after my own heart, who uses music and lyrics to inspire her writing. Read on!


The Music In The Writing
by Dianna Hardy

Firstly, many thanks to Mysti for hosting authors on her blog throughout March :D

I don't usually do long guest posts, just so you know. I'm briefly going to talk about how music inspires my writing, then dazzle you with a book trailer.

I'll start with silence. I actually need complete silence to write my best work. That's not always possible with a toddler and a husband who also sometimes works from home. So I do write amid chaos at times, but by far, my best writing is produced during moments of silence.

However, I use music to get inside my characters' heads before I begin writing them. More than that, music (and images also) usually help to form my characters. Sometimes it even helps with the plot.

You'll see links to music on my paranormal romance series website The Witching Pen Novellas, under the pages for books one, two and three. You'll find Maroon5, Coldplay and Goo Goo Dolls. Even though I hope they'll give readers a little insight into the feel of the relationships of the characters, or the feel of the book, I'm aware that different people will read my books and relate them to different songs. Ultimately, these are the songs that have inspired each book from my perspective.

It can take about 4 minutes to read a blog post, so I'm leaving you with a book trailer that I made for The Witching Pen Novellas - it's 3 mins and 26 seconds long, as you've already spent 34 seconds reading this ;)

Enjoy the trailer – the song on it is absolutely beautiful (it's called Angels In Dark Clouds, by Scott Altham). If you like the trailer, please do share it. Thanks for watching :)

Dianna Hardy
Multi-genre author of paranormal things, dark things, poetic things, sexy things, taboo things, and sometimes funny things. Website: DiannaHardy.com



5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me, Mysti :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane. Ineresting post. I never play music when I'm writing, I find it distracting. And I would have said until a couple of days ago that it doesn't figure at all in the process for me. But I'm just thinking through a vampire story and I've found the song, Vampire, going through my mind all the time. Maybe I'm more like Mysti than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny, I sometimes think the song finds me, rather than me finding it. Sounds like that may have been what's happened with you? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diana,

    I love using music as well. Sometimes I stumble across a theme that suits a character and that helps me to tap into the creative spirit. I don't play music as I write. I play it when I'm not writing. Usually, when I am brainstorming scenes for a story.

    :) nice trailer.

    Laurel w.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Raven :)

    Yep, that tends to be how music inspires me too. Thanks for stopping by and sharing. x

    ReplyDelete

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.