Saturday, February 15, 2014

Characters in Love: Eve Petersen from Mind Me Milady

Welcome to Unwritten's 
February Blog Series
 Characters in Love! 
Each day will feature a different fictional character from various books and genres, and a personal interview about their love lives. It's sure to be enlightening, and if you find yourself dying to know more about them, pick up a copy of the the book! 




Today we welcome Eve Petersen from Mind Me Milady:

1. Please tell us a little about yourself.

My name is Eve Petersen.  I’m a lawyer in my thirties.  I grew up in the Yorkville section of Manhattan, before it became the high-flying Upper East Side.  I was something of a rebel as a kid, mostly against my mother -- also a lawyer who worked essentially 24/7 out of a storefront on 92nd Street.  She seemed to specialize in representing people who had no money, especially women being abused by their husband/lover.  Now that she is dead, I miss her and I have found myself drawn to the kind of practice that she maintained, although I will take on a top payer just to keep some money in the bank.

2. How/where did you first meet your love interest?

Jack was actually the teaching colleague of a client and a main suspect in a case I was working on.  He was kind of weird, skulking around Central Park at strange hours, always with a pack on his back and a pair of binoculars.  He claimed to be a birder, but I thought otherwise.

3. Was it love (or attraction) at first sight?

He was good looking, but who can be attracted to a possible rapist?  However, the more I knew him, the more I recognized that he was an intelligent and sensitive man.  The problem was that he was obviously hiding something from me and from the world.  His past was revealed to me in part by an ex-boyfriend who was trying to smear him.  The fact was that his wife had died under mysterious circumstances.

4. When did you know for certain that you were in love?

I have a hard time trusting people – especially trusting men.  When I saw I could trust Jack, I started to realize I loved him as well.  He’s a cool person – for a guy.

5. Have you done anything to compromise your love (or vice versa)?

There was a time when I was very suspicious of him.  It was hard to get past that. 

6. Has anyone ever come between you?

He is a very loyal guy.  I prize that.  It’s something I have inherited from my mother, who was crazy/loyal.  Her clients adored her.  So I can’t see any guy getting between me and Jack.  For that matter, I don’t feel a lot of jealousy either, because I know he has the same loyalty hang-up that I do.

7. If you could take your lover on the perfect date, where would that be? 

Neither of us like going out very much to fancy restaurants.  I think I would get an expensive bottle of wine or two and a nice cut of steak and make a dinner for him at home.  It would be something that is still good when it’s cold, since we might be distracted along the way.  I’d buy the dessert, since I don’t like to bake.  My mother never baked either. 

8. Is there anything your lover does that completely annoys you?

He’s a man!  He’s quiet sometimes and I want to know what he’s thinking and he’s not always honest.  He says he likes to figure out what’s bugging him before he starts talking.  I can understand that, sort of.  But really?  The strong silent type can get me down.

9. What's the biggest challenge you've faced together as a couple?

Our biggest challenge was getting together in the first place and surviving the Gentleman Rapist.  Everything has been downhill since then.  But I have my fingers crossed as I say that.  My mother was sure the Evil Eye was always watching.  She wasn’t religious, but she was very superstitious.

10. Is there a happily ever after in store for you?

Jack wants to have kids.  I haven’t said ‘no.’ But I haven’t said ‘yes’ either.  It’s a huge responsibility.  I’m not sure I’m up to it.  Jack says I would be a terrific mother.  I think he doesn’t know me well enough to say that.  If we have kids, we’ll probably want to get married.  I don’t know.  My mother was very suspicious of marriage and the superstition is embedded in me.

Want to know more about Eve and Jack and if he'll finally pop the question? Check out their story here: 


3 comments:

  1. What an interesting premise for a love story. Nice character interview, very authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the character interview. It makes feel that that there should be a sequel! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cool interview, and Eve seems like such an awesome character! I definitely want to read the entire book now. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.