Friday, February 21, 2014

Characters in Love: Leigh Baxton from The Grave Winner

Welcome to Unwritten's 
February Blog Series
 Characters in Love! 
Each day will feature a different fictional character from various books and genres, and a personal interview about their love lives. It's sure to be enlightening, and if you find yourself dying to know more about them, pick up a copy of the the book! 



Today, we welcome Leigh Baxton from The Grave Winner:

1. Please tell us a little about yourself.

Hey. I’m Leigh Baxton, and I’m a sophomore/soon to be junior at Krapper High School. When I’m not hanging out with my best friend Jo, I go to the graveyard a lot, not because I think it’s cool or anything, but because I have to. My mom can’t come back from the dead, and I need to make sure she doesn’t.

2. How/where did you first meet your love interest?

*sigh* Trick question, and I’m not in love with either of them. They both just drive me kind of crazy, you know?
One of them lurks around the graveyard more than I do. His name is Tram, and he’s…different in every sense of the word. He warned me against digging in Mom’s grave, and I ignored him because that’s what I do best. But I couldn’t ignore the wings that grew out of my heart every time I looked into his green eyes…
*ahem*
The other is Jo’s big brother Callum, who I’ve known since I moved to Krapper. He’s not my type at all, but after Mom died, he was there, and sometimes he can be really sweet.

3. Was it love (or attraction) at first sight?

No. Well maybe a tiny bit of hotness hypnosis with Tram at first sight. The way the sunlight hit his blond curls and how they twisted in the breeze against the stubble along his jaw… Oh, and the fierceness behind his eyes. Yeah.
With Callum, I didn’t feel anything until the day he gave me a hug that wrapped his warmth all around me and he whispered how sorry he was about Mom. Since that day…I don’t know, but I can’t get him out of my head.

4. When did you know for certain that you were in love?

I’m not. Next question.

5. Have you done anything to compromise your love (or vice versa)?

Well, since I’m not in love (hello, is this thing on?), I haven’t done anything to compromise it. As for Tram or Callum, you’d have to ask them what they think. I’m not their keeper.

6. Has anyone ever come between you?

Only a couple of dead sorceressi who want me to join their creepy, stinky club. Does that not happen in every relationship? No? Oh, right. I live in Krapper where there’s all sorts of dead people wandering around.

7. If you could take your lover on the perfect date, where would that be?

Normal people would probably say the movies, but I’m not a big fan of a lot of people around me. I think I’d like to just go for a long walk, like maybe to the park where they have a carbonated greatness machine and a picnic table. That sounds kind of perfect.

8. Is there anything your lover does that completely annoys you?

Yeah. Callum almost kissed me even though he had a girlfriend. After dumping her, he declared his feelings for me and then expected me to come rushing at him with my lips. I didn’t. But I did introduce his face to my fist.
With Tram, it’s hard to shake all his secrets loose, and he’s afraid of what I might think of him. But who cares what I think?

9. What's the biggest challenge you've faced together as a couple?

Surviving high school and the dead sorceressi.

10. Is there a happily ever after in store for you?


I honestly don’t know. It depends on if I can find a way to stop the sorceressi before they kill me or my little sister. This is all a big game to them, and they’ll do anything to get their grave winner. 

I KNOW you'll want to check out Leigh's story and her un-love relationships with Callum & Tram:

Buy The Grave Winner at Barnes & Noble:

Add The Grave Winner to Goodreads:

Watch the book trailer on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NVwGEaLvcY

1 comment:

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.