Sunday, February 23, 2014

Characters in Love: Kaylob from Seasons of Love and War

Welcome to Unwritten's 
February Blog Series
 Characters in Love! 

Each day will feature a different fictional character from various books and genres, and a personal interview about their love lives. It's sure to be enlightening, and if you find yourself dying to know more about them, pick up a copy of the the book! 

1. Please tell us a little about yourself. 

My name is Kaylob Shawn O’Brien and I was born in Novato California in 1950.

2. How/where did you first meet your love interest? 

I was fourteen years old when she climbed off the greyhound bus coming from Salem Oregon. I didn’t meet her until later that day when she was peeking in the windows at the old train station. I had to get to know her so I introduced myself.

3. Was it love (or attraction) at first sight? 

We were kids but I knew she made my heart beat harder than any girl ever. Her red hair, her shy personality, won me over and I actually knew someday she’d be my wife. I actually told her that while we stood on the tracks eating peanut butter cups. She almost ran away.

4. When did you know for certain that you were in love? 

The first time we kissed and I saw our future in her eyes.  I knew there would never be anyone who had me like she did. It was like two old souls coming together. Like a twin flame connection.

5. Have you done anything to compromise your love (or vice versa)?

I did. When Beth Ann turned eighteen we moved to Riverside California because she wanted to be a Broadway star and I wanted to be a chef. Beth Ann had been accepted into the Lakeside school of performing arts. Sadly my dream was put on hold because I was drafted into the Army and left for the Vietnam War. That was hard enough but then I signed up for a second tour without talking it over with her. She was a very unhappy young lady and I know now I should have talked it over with her because we were engaged.

6. Has anyone ever come between you? 

Someone has tried and I will just say I was missing and presumed dead and yes, an old school friend of hers made his moves. He was rich, powerful and some might say good-looking. His name is Blake Tanner and he had been trying to make her his girl since we were all kids.

7. If you could take your lover on the perfect date, where would that be? 

The perfect date for us would be the redwoods in Trinidad California, where the ocean and the redwood trees join together in harmony and love. Having a picnic on a private beach or a place amongst the giant trees is very romantic.

8. Is there anything your lover does that completely annoys you? 

I guess I would have to say she putters  and rambles when she’s nervous. I always know something has happen that I’m not going to like.

9. What's the biggest challenge you've faced together as a couple? 

Book two- but I will say the Vietnam War took its toll on me. I lost my best friend who died in my arms and going from war to love is never easy. It can change a man and make him act in ways that are completely out of character.


10. Is there a happily ever after in store for you?  

You bet there is. Just stay tuned. 

Will Kaylob and Beth Ann survive the separation and horrors of the Vietnam War? Seasons of Love and War by Brenda Ashworth Barry will be coming very soon from Melange Books: http://www.melange-books.com/coming.html

12 comments:

  1. Brenda I'm in love with Kaylob already. Can't wait to hear more about him and I can't wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. I can not wait to read this book. I really am not a reader like my Mom or Granddaughter but I am waiting for this.

      Delete
  2. Brenda, I have read little tibbits from your book and I can't to read this book. Kaylob is charming.

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brenda, I can't wait to read more about Kaylob, he's so sweet and sexy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaylob. How do you turn on a light?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaylob. How do you turn on a light?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kaylob has got my full attention now. I want so much more. Great interview, Wow! Really excited about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Can't wait for the release.

    Cindy W assistant

    ReplyDelete
  8. What about when she throws pillows? ;-) Love this interview and these characters!

    ~Joyce Scarbrough

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it, I absolutely cannot wait to read this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brenda it's so good. I'm so in love with all your characters and I just want to hold this book in my hand and read it. Kaylob's interview was amazing.

    ReplyDelete

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.