Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blast From the Past

My girls and I just finished reading Silver Wolf by Paige Dixon. Written in 1973, it's the story of a young wolf, told from his point of view, and the life of his pack. I remember reading it over and over when I was around nine or ten years old. It was great to share it with my girls, and I remember why I loved it so much. The writing was so vivid, it took me there.

Next week, we start The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken. I'm really excited to read that one again too. It's the story of two little girls who have to escape from real and human "wolves"--a wicked governess and her cohort who make them virtual slaves at a "school for girls".

Yeah, I had a thing for wolves back then. But, there were others too--The Little House series, Anne of Green Gables, Jane Eyre.

Today's question: What were some of your childhood favorites? Have you re-discovered any of them in recent years?

6 comments:

  1. Whinne the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner were both read to me by my Grandparents and are still so charming to the next generations of young things in our family.
    I've recently indulged in re-reading The Chronicles of Narnia, which always makes me crave Turkish Delight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite series was Sweet Valley High. Every time a new book came out, my mom would rush me to Wal-Mart to buy it before I hyperventilated. Those and anything by Stephen King powered me through childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite book growing up was "The Tawny, Scrawny Lion". I found a copy several years ago and my children (the youngest is 11) grew up having it read to them.

    I still enjoy the story, as do they.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...sharing a childhood novel with your little ones, decades after experiencing the drama yourself, is a memory worth saving under lock 'n key. For my son and I, it was, "Where the Red Fern Grows," by Wilson Rawls. Unforgettable:)

    EL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where the Red Fern Grows was such a bittersweet story--I saw the movie, and it makes me cry to this day.

    Great to see everyone's fav's! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved The Witch of Blackbird Pond. I have it downstairs on my bookshelf--it's one of the few books I've kept with me since being a teen...and that was *cough* some time ago!

    I should reread it soon. Thanks for planting the thought in my head!

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.