Saturday, January 1, 2011

Tara Fox Hall's Entry

From Lash (coming in April):


That fateful day was hot for this time of year. I remember thinking I hoped it would not be too hot a summer. The last few harvests had been decent enough, but I had my eyes on a knife I wanted down in the local dry goods store. It had been some soldier’s in the Great War, at least that was what I was told, and I liked the leather scabbard, the serrated edge, and the leather wrapped hilt. I’d liked the feel of it in my hand. But the store owner wanted five dollars for it, and I needed another dollar. I prayed that when I turned sixteen I’d get a raise as Franco had.

We were just breaking for lunch when a car pulled up in front of the hotel. Out of it stepped a man, a woman, and the most beautiful girl I’d ever seen.


She was shorter than I was, and at first, I took her for about ten. Then I realized she was just petite, and was close to my age. She had long blond hair, loose, and a shorter dress than I’d seen on most women until that time. I sure liked the look of her legs. Her arms were bare, too…


“Come on, Tryst!” Franco said to me irritably. “Get moving! I want to have a few hours to myself, before the sun sets.” 


What he meant was he wanted a few hours as a snake in the sun before he had to sleep, and start the week all over again. But I wanted to look at the girl. I ignored him until a clump of dirt with a rock on it hit me in the back of the head. I let out a yell before I stopped myself. The girl, her parents, and the workers unloading their car all looked over at me. I went red, quickly turning to a laughing Franco with murder on my face. He just gave me a shove back when I shoved him, and when I next looked back the girl was gone.



****
Tara Fox Hall’s writing credits include nonfiction, horror, suspense, erotica, and contemporary and historical paranormal romance. She also coauthored the essay “The Allure of the Serial Killer,” published inSerial Killers - Philosophy for Everyone: Being and Killing (Wiley-Blackwell, 2010). Her first e-novella,Surrender to Me, was published in September 2011. Her first full-length novel, Lash, will publish in April 2012. She divides her free time unequally between writing novels and short stories, chainsawing firewood, caring for stray animals, sewing cat and dog beds for donation to animal shelters, and target practice.



 
 
Tara's Facebook Page:
 
For info on my recently published work, Just Shadows, click here: http://www.amazon.com/Just-Shadows-ebook/dp/B006V4HB2Y

For Lash ( publishing in April ): http://www.bradleypublishings.com/Tara_Fox_Hall.php

7 comments:

  1. Great excerpt, Tara. Can't wait to read the book

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo…wonderful! I'm so looking forward to Lash! Can't vote yet…must think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll like Lash, Tori :) I'll understand if you can't choose me :) I'm in wonderful company at this contest.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Jenny. I am just sure (somehow) you'll love Lash :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome excerpt. I am looking forward to the book!
    b

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Brian :) Sorry this reply is so late!

    ReplyDelete

***NOTICE*** Thanks to a spam bot infestation, every comment must now be subjected to a full-body search. If you pass, you can skip the anal probing...maybe.